LG to release bi-facial solar panel in Australia
LG has announced its first bi-facial panel will be introduced in Australia later this year. The NeON 2 BiFacial will be the latest addition to the company’s extensive solar product range and will feature advanced technology that enables light to be harvested from both sides. The high efficiency panel features a peak capacity of 300W and will be available from Q3, 2016 in Australia.
The panel makes use of a clear backsheet, which replaces the black or white backing used on standard LG solar modules. The transparent sheet exposes the underside of the solar cell to the light that is reflected from the surface below the panel, producing up to 27% more energy than conventional modules in optimised installation conditions.
Solar at LG Australia marketing manager Russ Prendergast said: “Our solar business in Australia has been steadily growing over the last few years and we’re excited to launch the latest addition to our fantastic NeON range. According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), last year Australia ranked eighth globally for installed capacity of solar PV systems and we hope that our innovations in the renewable energy space will help to accelerate Australia’s solar position worldwide.”
- The performance of the NeON 2 BiFacial panels can be optimised by adjusting the height at which the panels are mounted from the surface and by the reflective capacity of the roof or ground facade below. For example, a surface that is painted white will reflect sunlight more effectively.
- In ideal installation conditions the 300W bifacial panel is capable of generating the output equivalent to a 375W conventional/monofacial panel.
- The bifacial design of the panels also makes them more effective in low light conditions, such as early mornings, late afternoons and on cloudy days.
“Highly efficient panels make solar an accessible option to more people as it’s possible to generate more power in a smaller area – ideal for those with little roof space. This level of productivity also means the panels are a great option for those thinking ahead and planning for storage batteries or system expansions at a later date. The renewable energy industry continues to advance at a rapid pace and it is key for those investing in solar now, to think long-term when selecting a solution,” says Russ.
- All panels from the Intersolar award-winning NeON 2 range, adopt advanced CELLO technology which replaces three ribbon busbars with 12 thin wires to enhance power output and reliability. This provides a reduction in electrical loss as there is a lower current travelling along each busbar.
- The NeON 2 modules are also designed to last long-term and are highly resistant to various environmental conditions including heat. The panels have a degradation rate of only -0.6% per annum as opposed to the industry standard of -0.7% per annum. LG is so confident in the durability and reliability of the panels that they offer a 12 year product warranty as opposed to the industry standard of 10 years, whether or not supplier or installer still exists.
NeON 2 BiFacial Modules can be mounted on the roof or on ground mounted frames.